View Single Post

Old 11-05-2015, 04:26 PM

Liked 705 Times in 351 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Flash View Post
I had one of these First Group revolvers (shipped circa 1938) with the square notch. It was in much worse shape than yours, but it did have the original stocks (at least I believe they were original). They were checkered with S&W medallions (gold, IIRC), not smooth like the book says. I suppose it is always possible that they were replaced somewhere along the line.

From a purely functional perspective, you may want to try shooting it with the rubber grips (Pachmayrs?) that are now on it. You may be able to shoot it much more accurately and comfortably than you could using the "correct" stocks.
That's a nice old warhorse! Have fun shooting it.

With my 1917 I've found that I have a hard time shooting accurately with the original stocks. I found a pair of Sile wood target grips in a LGS for $10. I relieved the bottom of the grips for the lanyard ring. The targets made my 1917 much easier to shoot accurately.

I suspect you'll be more accurate with the Pachs that are on your 1917, but if it were me, I'd hunt down a pair of original grips also
The Following 2 Users Like Post: