View Single Post

Old 11-12-2015, 08:07 PM

Liked 17,102 Times in 6,271 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Lee View Post
In my case, my personal M&P 5" would shoot about a 24" group at 50 yards off sandbags. To me, that is unacceptable.
If that's not a typo, it's not just unacceptable, your gun is broken. 24" groups when using a sand bag is the worst I've ever heard of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Lee View Post
Someone in an earlier thread stated that the M&P is a duty gun and not a target gun. My question is: Why can't they be one in the same?
I've said this myself. They can be one in the same.

Please understand this is not said to say that a duty gun shouldn't be accurate. It is merely said to bring the reality of how this gun is manufactured. The trigger is not tuned to be a thing of wonder and beauty. It's built stiff on purpose and that doesn't translate to a fine target gun. The fitment of parts is intended to make a gun with acceptable accuracy and still have interchangeable parts.

There is no reason a duty gun can't be accurate. Actually, the term repeatable is more applicable to this discussion.

With a quality barrel, the gun will be repeatable. It's the lock up in the slide that makes the difference in both precision and accuracy. If the barrel doesn't lock up the same every time, it won't be repeatable because the sights will be aligned differently with the bore every time. So, the only way to really get a very repeatable, accurate gun, is to have the barrel/chamber fitted to the slide. This reduces the functionality as an interchangeable part gun.

Of course even as a defensive tool, accuracy is important. You want to know that if you do your part, the gun will put rounds where you want them.