View Single Post

Old 11-13-2015, 06:42 PM

Liked 17,102 Times in 6,271 Posts

I concur Randy. The Ransom rest, or any similar rest, does have shortcomings, but they can be accounted for by technique.

In order to test mechanical accuracy, you must account for and eliminate as many variables as possible. Also, the item under test must be used as it would be used by the end user. So, the sights must be used to line up the gun. This has to be done immediately prior to the shot and after the gun is charged. Otherwise, the sights will move and disrupt the test.

Mount the gun in the vise. Rack a round into the chamber. Then set the sights on the intended target. This must be the same every time. In fact, it must be set by the same person every time to reduce the error in how the sights are used between people.

When the trigger is pulled, it must be consistent and in a manner that won't disturb the set up. If the trigger is jerked, you'll have the same issue a shooter would have; sights will move.

The main reason revolvers tend to be more accurate than auto-loading pistols is how the sights are mounted. Because the sights are mounted directly to the barrel, they will always be in exactly the same place. For an auto-loader, the sights are not mounted to the barrel. Any movement at all between the barrel and slide will add error to the shot-to-shot accuracy.

This is why modular pistols are less accurate than custom fit pistols. The added tolerance necessary for parts to just "drop in" makes the lock up less precise. Less precision in the lock up translates to less precision at the target.

I would love to get my hands on a Ransom rest and one of your new barrels. I think you have something special here.