View Single Post

Old 11-16-2015, 05:16 PM

Liked 234 Times in 79 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoffman View Post
It takes me a while to catch on but I might be getting it now. The "problem" with a semi-auto stems from the fact that the sights are on the slide, not the barrel. This means that the barrel must lock in exactly the same position relative to the slide every time - any change here, even a tiny one - will change the POI while the POA remains dependent on the slide and the sights. So, the gun can only be as accurate as the system that aligns and locks the barrel, even if the sights are exactly on the same point on the target. This tells me that Apex can redesign the barrel to fit tighter and reduce the difference between the barrel position on each shot. Sound right????
The short answer is yes. The barrel must lock up consistently shot to shot. This is the same for any semi auto pistol. Another critical aspect to accuracy is that the barrel must remain locked up in the same orientation relative to the sights for some period of time after the bullet leaves the barrel. This is what I refer to as dwell time. It is this that the M&P lacks.

The biggest problem that must be addressed is that the way the factory barrel locks up is...simply put- wrong. They might deny it, but the guns would not meet the accuracy criteria for the Army Modular Handgun System trials.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: