View Single Post

Old 11-19-2015, 03:13 AM

Liked 1,137 Times in 523 Posts

I've had so-so accuracy with M&P barrels from the factory. Not bad, but generally not up to the accuracy I get with Sigs or with my S&W revolvers. I am an average marksman.

I recall the M&P9 barrel's twist rate was changed about two years ago (rolling change, not announced, but apparently evidenced by the presence of a dimple on the underside of the barrel -- can anyone confirm that?) to enhance accuracy with the 115 grain bullets that supposedly had the most problems. Can anyone say if that has helped things?

My unease with the stock barrel led to my buying a Storm Lake drop-in barrel, which I perceive to be more accurate.

I'm glad to see Randy Lee's technical expertise in this discussion and don't mind if he "promotes" his products while contributing to this forum. I see this sort of thing on other forums too, e.g., Bruce Gray on the SigForum, and as it is being done in true name it is totally ethical. Indeed, it might be considered improper for such contributors to have to make a financial contribution to the forum to be heard! Mr. Lee's research and development of Apex parts has fundamentally improved the M&P platform, making better guns available to all and even driving change by S&W itself as a result. All of us are smart enough to make decisions on whether we buy or don't buy a given product! As for a financial contribution to the forum, that's a good cause, and I, er, think I should send a little something in one of these days myself (soon, I promise!) since I've used the forum classified section to sell a bunch of small items over the years.

My two cents. Comments on the accuracy of Storm Lake, Apex, and other custom barrels would be useful.

Last edited by S&W Rover; 11-19-2015 at 03:19 AM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: