View Single Post

Old 11-24-2015, 09:08 PM

Liked 418 Times in 155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladder13 View Post

Do Sig, CZ, HK, Beretta make revolvers?
If Sig did make a revolver, although it would likely be 20% higher at the price point than a S&W, I'm sure it would be a heck of lot nicer and I doubt Sig would foist such unwanted stupidity on it's customers as an internal lock.

And bashing folks for preferring a very effective, reliable and extremely usable DA/SA metal pistol, dismissing them as unrealistic fogeys addicted to 'nostalgia' is neither an intelligent response nor a practical explanation, it is simply a childlike rock throwing insult.

If 'nostalgia' was such a bad idea business wise, explain to me again the soaring number of 1911 sales? Not much on the market older than that right now. And Smith's vigorous sales of their own revolvers (those ancient, obsolete, ineffective lead chunkers of yore) seem to be doing very well in the CHL market, thereby belying the notion of "old equals dead and useless."

Firearms are not buggywhips or muscle cars, stay apples to apples here. They are a unique product that have designs going back many, many decades. M1 Garands are still being made and sold *because* in no small part, they are very nostalgic. Why did Colt bring back the Delta Elite? Because it's the greatest tactical handgun ever? Uh, no. Because it's nostalgic and the 10mm (that huge, loud, obsolete mushroom cloud evoking monster) is in a wonderful resurgence.

Don't equate the fact that S&W won't build 3rd Gens again with the idea building them is a bad idea. Smith's will is not the market, it is only their desired response to the market, and there is a good chance they're missing an opportunity. Yes, S&W is a business that needs to make a profit and does answer to investors, but just because they are in this business doesn't mean they are right about every business decision. Simply put, not making them just might be a wrong decision. Remember the Sigma? The 586's in the 1980's with firing pins that stuck in magnum primers and disable many a State Trooper's handgun with one shot? Oh yeah, S&W can foul up horribly, has done so before. Still not convinced their M&P like is nearly as durable as advertised.

Lastly, as to 'obsolescence', I seriously doubt any murderous thug felon that has expired since 1988 due to being lawfully shot by an LEO or citizen with a 3rd Gen S&W suddenly feels more alive today because that weapon is no longer in fashion, because it cannot mount silly accessories around its dust cover or fails to hold 20 rounds. Those would be killers are still DRT, and the 3rd Gen Smith that put them in the dirt are still highly effective. And anyone who knows how to use and shoot a DA/SA such as the 3rd Gen clearly understands that is not a 'dead trigger' system.

But I suppose the numerous state and federal law enforcement agencies, Navy SEALS and other military outfits ordering Sig Sauer DA/SA's this year forgot to log onto this forum to find out how stupid they are for doing so, and to get ifresh instructions on what truly works.

May angels and ministers of grace protect those poor underequipped souls carrying a 5906, 4506 or 3914 tonight...time has passed them sadly by and, the clock having struck midnight, their weapons suddenly no longer function and will surely see their owners fall perilously to their doom....