View Single Post

Old 11-26-2015, 03:51 PM

Liked 5,902 Times in 2,543 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter123 View Post
1250 fps with a 125 grain bullet from a shorter barrel is NOT what I would consider a "mid range" load. From a short barrel like that on the 640 it will feature a rather extreme level of muzzle flash and blast. In addition recoil will be a bit uncomfortable.
Remington advertises 1250 fps from a 4" barrel; I would comfortably wager that's a non-vented test barrel getting those numbers. Having shot a lot of the stuff in Ks and Js, and knowing what an honest 1250 fps from a 125 grain bullet feels like exiting those same revolvers, the Golden Saber is definitely moving at less velocity in the real world; its flash and bang are also notably muted. It's a mid-range magnum load.

Quote:
The suggestion I find the most suitable is the Speer 135 grain 38 +P Gold Dot. Hard to find and likely a dollar per round but it's a combination that was specifically engineered to perform well out of compact revolvers such as the 640.
I love Speer's Short Barrel in .38+P. I'm going to kick myself for this, but here goes: Target Sports USA has had an ample supply for months, in the 50 round LE pack, at .50 cents a round. It's such a good deal and they've had so much for so long I'm almost worried something's wrong with the supply. Nonetheless, I've been storing up. Everyone else should, too.

Also, their prices on Golden Saber are ridiculously low -- half of what's listed most other places, and right now Remington's offering a $100 rebate on 10 boxes purchased.

Quote:
BTW, consider this a hint to all revolver shooters, start hand loading. When you do you'll find that you can hand load 38 special for about 12 cents per round with plated bullets and 357 Magnum using premium bullets for under 30 cents per round.
It's good advice, but if I started hand loading, I'd never stop.