View Single Post

Old 11-27-2015, 08:07 PM

Liked 203 Times in 71 Posts
Default Shorty 40 MK3 New Owner Questions on Recoil Springs and Holsters

Hey everyone I have purchased a Shorty 40 MK3 that I will be picking up next week. Has it's original box and 5 performance center marked mags.

The only other 3rd gen S&W I've ever owned is a 4040PD and it had a big appetite for recoil springs!

I'd like to replace the recoil spring setup in my Shorty for reliability sake because when speaking with the original owner he claims to have never replaced anything on the gun. I'd like to occasionally carry it on my property so I want everything in check.

I spoke with S&W today and gave them the serial number of the gun. They claim that it uses a single recoil spring (which they no longer carry) part 895240000. I did find these at Midway USA however when I field stripped mine before working out a deal on it I noticed that it has the "nested" design spring setup not a single spring. S&W couldn't help me any further. After some research I have found both springs for the dual spring setup in the 4013TSW which I'm thinking may also work for the Shorty but not sure.... I'm hoping someone here can guide me in the right direction. What I have found is 108660000 (outer) and 108670000 (inner) would these be be correct ones to replace the factory springs? My serial starts with KPC.

Also one other question, I am looking to order a good quality concealed carry holster for it and a lot of the makers do not have a Shorty specific mold.... Would I be correct in assuming that a 4013TSW (non-rail) holster would be exactly the same as long as it isn't extremely detailed Kydex or something that has a slightly different slide? I'm looking at just an OWB Open top design like a Milt Sparks 55BN or similar.

Thanks in advance.
The Following User Likes This Post: