View Single Post

Old 11-29-2015, 10:36 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 7,119 Times in 1,898 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rct269 View Post
Everything is as it should be on this gun. Any questions I had about that (when my thinking cap wasn't on tight enough) were resolved a long time ago. The only fly in the ointment is the documentation. It ain't there! I've been there and done that before. The lesson learned was don't spend time fretting about things you can't control----and can't fix.

My first big lesson was also a NM #3---a gorgeous example. Phase one of the lesson began when David Carroll said, "Ralph, there's something not right about that gun---you need to talk to so & so." So I did---two so & so's. Both examined that gun every place it had a place----at length. Then so & so #1 (Chicoine) said (basically), It's as bogus as a three dollar bill----and told me why. So & so #2 (Jinks) said the same thing----almost exactly the same. The gun was perfect---at first glance---which is what I gave it. The so & so's looked harder and longer---and saw things I didn't see. Lesson learned. That gun wasn't a fake (per se), but it was built to deceive----and it was built by a master. Both my so & so's were highly complimentary of the master-----but neither of them were fooled by him. Given my lesson learned, it's not likely to happen to me again. If it does, then I will have run afoul of a masterful master---and will have learned another lesson.

Ralph Tremaine
Ralph,

Can you post, in another thread perhaps (or maybe you have already done this) the story of this New Model #3, what was faked and why? Colts and Winchesters have been faked a LOT, Smith & Wesson's not as much (as the values tend not to be as much). Hopefully, this isn't the beginning of a trend!