View Single Post

Old 11-30-2015, 02:41 PM

Liked 1,588 Times in 469 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbm6893 View Post
Thanks. As a new reloader I guess I'm still a bit paranoid. But when you say "until it splits", could there be any damage to the gun depending on the split? I weigh every charge and triple check before the powder goes in and I have a whole system with different colored blocks on different sides of the bench to ensure I am not double charging a case. I check the cases to make sure none are overcharged before I seat a bullet too, so I'm not worried about an overcharge harming the gun, but when a case splits, the pressure in contained by the chamber and no harm to gun or shooter, right?
I'm sure I've had some split cases slip thru and not even known it. The only issue I've encountered (on a couple of occasions) when split cases were loaded in a revolver (.357 mag) was the bullet of split round backing out enough during recoil to lock up the cylinder and even prevent opening the cylinder. I don't use my reloads for carry or defense so no harm, but it can be tricky to tap the bullet back in with a closed cylinder.