View Single Post

Old 12-03-2015, 11:53 AM
US Veteran

Liked 5,590 Times in 2,562 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arik View Post

I find J frames to be probably the most uncomfortable guns to shoot. Not from the recoil perspective but from their small grip size and short distance from the grip to the trigger. It just doesn't work for me. I need something to take up all that space in my grip.
J frames are supposed to be uncomfortable with factory grips, just like K frame M&Ps. With exceptions for some people with different hands or strange ways of aiming a pistol, S&W revolvers are in general unusable with factory grips. If your J frame is a steel RB, you can probably make it work with a Tyler. If it a SB, you can almost surely make it work with a Tyler. If it is a RB Airweight, you may be able to make it sort of work with an extremely firm grip, or, better, with some large aftermarket grips which make it less concealable.

Obviously, these guidelines are not written in stone, and vary somewhat with the individual, but anyone who expects S&W revolvers to work with factory grips is out of touch with the reality of most of S&W's history. BTW, Colts aren't noticeably better, and usually need about the same cure. I think that many later Rugers may be better, but I don't have much experience with them.

P.S. In the sixties, I used to eyeball cops' guns, which were revolvers back then, mostly S&W. If I saw a grip adapter or aftermarket grips, I figured he knew something about guns. If I didn't, I figured he didn't. I was probably right. Any old-time LEOs care to comment?

Last edited by ImprovedModel56Fan; 12-03-2015 at 12:08 PM. Reason: P.S.
The Following 4 Users Like Post: