View Single Post

Old 12-04-2015, 02:43 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 9,977 Times in 3,668 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcvs View Post
Ralph,

Can you post, in another thread perhaps (or maybe you have already done this) the story of this New Model #3, what was faked and why? Colts and Winchesters have been faked a LOT, Smith & Wesson's not as much (as the values tend not to be as much). Hopefully, this isn't the beginning of a trend!
I may very well have already done this, but it would have been a long time back---as will become apparent as I try to do it again. (I just checked my SWCA Meeting souvenir cups to see when this tale started----Minneapolis (2005)).

So that was when David Carroll told me "---------there's something not right about this gun-------." That which was not right was the configuration----the combination of serial number, barrel roll marks, the barrel itself (long strap), the long cylinder, and one thing and another----which I should have noticed (and probably did-----and was quick to rationalize----because it was so pretty.)

So I studied the books----and asked around. The folks I asked were quick to rationalize---just like I was. So I sent the gun off to Chicoine---and then to Jinks. Neither one of them was quick to rationalize anything---and said the same thing David did----It's not right.

In a nutshell: An older frame had been married up with a later barrel and cylinder----both ostensibly new/from the Parts Department (because they had no numbers on them when the process started. The fact they had no numbers on them was no problem, because numbers were put on them. All the typical number places had numbers. Chicoine noted (among myriad other anomalies) the numbers didn't look like any of the numbers he had in hand at the time. Jinks was more to the point----he said the numbers were not those in use by S&W at the time of the gun. I too had noticed the numbers (especially the 6's and 9's), and was quick to consider there were several S&W folks stamping numbers----and they very likely each used their own set of stamps. (You see how easy it is to explain these seeming anomalies? Don't do it!!)

Then all the bits and pieces were prepared for finishing----and finished----by an EXPERT. Both my experts were quick to compliment the skill of the craftsmen----suggesting it may very well have been a S&W employee----working "off the books".

I have earlier stated it (the project) was done to deceive. That's my conclusion based on the fact the several (improper) pieces had been numbered.

That's essentially the end of it.

Ralph Tremaine

Last edited by rct269; 12-04-2015 at 02:49 PM.