View Single Post

Old 12-05-2015, 03:57 PM
US Veteran

Liked 50,756 Times in 6,046 Posts
Default Update on my search for a chromed bayonet!

I'm pleased to report that my M1903A3 chromed parade/drill rifle is now replete with a matching chromed bayonet! I found this one at a gun show yesterday, complete with a scabbard that also has its metal parts plated.

While some don't care for these rifles (which I understand), I find them really interesting. I understand the Director of Civilian Marksmanship (modern day CMP) once released many of these chromed rifles for sale. Many were loaned to American Legion posts and other veterans organizations for ceremonially firing blank volleys at vets' funerals. One wonders over how many such events this particular rifle was fired.

I predict that in the future these shiny rifles, many plated by the government itself, will become sought after collector items, and all the more so with a matching bayonet.

I was at a changing of the guard ceremony at Arlington in September, and I noted that the guards' M14 bayonets were chrome plated and fitted with wooden scales. I researched this and discovered that 1,100 of them were ordered by the 3rd Infantry (Old Guard) that protects the Tomb of the Unknowns. These are the only plated M14 bayonets officially extant and in themselves would be valued collector items.

Thought I'd share my joy at finding an appropriate chromed bayonet for my '03A3 rifle - took me over four years!

John

Last edited by PALADIN85020; 12-07-2015 at 05:49 PM.
The Following 12 Users Like Post: