View Single Post

Old 12-10-2015, 12:13 AM

Liked 221 Times in 151 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
Most reloaders just don't understand oal & its affect on a given load. Your oal is gun & bullet specific. So are you using the exact or at least a close example of the bullet used in the data? If not, the oal is almost useless. Even if you are using the exact components, Ime, 0.020" isn't moving the pressure/vel meter enough to cause you an over pressure event, unless you are already at or over max.
I've run vel tests w/ WST, a bit slower, than pb, but valid. I didn't see significant vel increases until pushing over 0.030" deeper seating. Beyond that things got interesting. At 0.060" deeper, vel was almost 100fps higher, which = higher pressures too.
So it just depends. There is no universal min oal. Even SAAMI max isn't relavent with some bullets in some bbls. My new Springer 1911/9mm, with a 124gr tc, needs an oal at 1.040" max. Far shorter than what you often see In manuals. So I wouldn't be all In On a blanket statement that your oal is too long, it just depends. Faster powders react sooner to compression than slower powders. So it just depends.
I went to the range and shot the ones I made that were 1.130. The length was supposed to be 1.150 and after shooting 6 rounds of 1.130 124gr 9mm Bayou Bullets and then 6 rounds of Critical Defense 115gr, the Critical Defense had more felt recoil. I then showed the empty cartridges to the gunsmith and he said my brass showed no signs of overpressure. I am confused because I thought the deeper seated bullet would have much more felt recoil