Thread: Ruger Speed Six
View Single Post

Old 01-04-2016, 06:43 PM
US Veteran

Liked 576 Times in 280 Posts

I bought my first handgun after I got out of the USN in 1977. I really wanted a S&W M19/66 but they were pretty scarce and when one showed up at a local shop, they were selling for inflated prices that were out of the range for a night janitor at the WMCA...My first part-time job while going to community college on GI Bill and yes, I get the USN and YMCA connection (ha ha)...I found a new stainless four inch Security Six for $175. I SETTLED for the Ruger. It seemed to resemble a DA Blackhawk. I thought it looked rather klunky. A year later, I started on a local PD. I was issued a M10HB but was allowed to carry my Six after qualifying with it and loaded with issued ammo. After experiences in snow and downpours and jumping a fence and landing in an open cesspool, etc, I came to appreciate the modular design that was easily disassembled to dry and clean...I used that revolver for a house gun, hunting companion, woods roaming/camping gun, range and load testing gun...I still have it and its a tight and accurate as the day I got it...I have a couple M19s and a 66 and I prize them but my Six is my old and dear friend. I hope to get a clean Speed Six someday but my four inch Security Six will do...You fell into a great deal on that one!
The Following 4 Users Like Post: