View Single Post

Old 01-07-2016, 11:44 PM

Liked 1,574 Times in 578 Posts

I read that per the 1940 War Department field manual, mean radius at 25 yards with muzzle rest was 0.86" with 800 fps GI ball and a 5-6.5 lbs trigger pull.
*I* can't do that!
I do know that all the ones I owned or that were issued to me shot anything fired through them without problem, and I have often gone to the range with our professional military son, taking a 1911 (not an A1), a WWII 1911A1 that appears original to the era, a Series 70, a (modern) Remington, Sig Scorpion Carry, Springfield Champion Operator Lightweight, S&W 1911Sc and PC-RB, and bounced golf balls out to 30 meters or so off-hand with all of them. My Sig 220 can do that, too.

While I have observed what might have been so-called "limp-wristing," I have never experienced it even when holding the gun loosely in my hands.

Armorers told me that magazines are critical to 1911 reliability. I've seen that proven myself. After that, the recoil and firing pin springs are important, and the relief of the chamber mouth is critical to hollow point ammo. Even so, I've fired hollow point ammo (Speer Flying Ashtrays and Federal Gold Dot) in every one except the non-A1 with no feed problems.

People who say cleanliness is critical forget the gun was designed to shoot when full of dirt, and in Vietnam I shot one dry and filthy with dust with no malfunctions. Ones built to tight tolerances will have problems that must be identified and addressed.

Butchersmithing is common, and owner so-called polishing of that chamber relief, or the feed ramp of pistols that have them, is almost a guarantee of trouble.

I have a S&W M&P357 that is utterly reliable with everything I shoot through it. The striker system is true "point and click" simplicity. I recently put the 1,000-th round through it, not including those fired in competition. It gets cleaned when I think about it, greased and oiled at every use, and I've fired it with a heavy light mounted on the rail. It just doesn't stop.

Better? Best? Pointless questions. If it works and you like it, shoot it.