View Single Post

Old 01-10-2016, 09:55 PM

Liked 4,190 Times in 1,865 Posts

To the OP, I will say definitively, "maybe".

I am seeing a large number of Mk110s at Camp Perry during the 1000 yard matches, especially amongst the military. I have not really followed them closely, since due to injuries, I will never be able to shoot one effectively. (Yes, I realize that my inattentiveness is a bit shallow.)

I think that it is safe to say that your AR10 should have some specific characteristics if you wish to reach out to 1000 yards. These characteristics can prove very beneficial at 500 yards and beyond. Your rifle should have a Varmint weight/style barrel, in order to minimize the harmonic vibrations that destroy long range accuracy. Your barrel should be at least 24" long, if not longer. Barrel length will contribute to the muzzle velocity of the round, allowing the powder to burn completely. Out to 600 yards, a 168gr HPBT should be accurate. Beyond 600 yards, I would suggest using a 175 to 215gr HPBT or VLD bullet, which you need to keep supersonic at the target. I find that I can keep a 175gr HPBT supersonic at 1000 yards out of my Remington 700 Varmint 308 with a 26" barrel. This should work with a barrel twist of 1:10 - 1:12".