View Single Post

Old 01-11-2016, 04:42 PM

Liked 3,352 Times in 1,336 Posts

Back in the day, our agency shot duty carry, full-load 125 grain .357 defensive rounds during our 60-round day light qualification courses and 30-round reduced light qualifications. I consistently made ragged holes in the center ring of a Trans Star target with my 66, as did many others. One day at the range, I found a couple of stray rounds in the outer scoring rings on my target. I was scratching my head in puzzlement when the joker next to me started laughing. He'd fired the errant rounds at my target just to see my reaction. We had both passed easily, despite his practical joke.

As for the full load 125 grain issue, I never experienced any problems, other than some limited flame cutting with my Mod. 66. I still own and carry that snubby, but nowadays I load it with .38 Special +P defensive rounds, and save the 125 grain .357 loads for my 686. As I understand it, the flat bottom of the forcing cone is the source of possible weaknesses in the Mod.19 and Mod. 66.

I've personally witnessed only one cracked forcing cone in either model, and that involved a older Mod.19 firing 125 grain defensive loads that a fellow officer was using. When the forcing cone cracked, his 19 started showering me with lead fragments. I took superficial wounds in the face on my left cheek, and one on the left forearm. The officer firing the 19 was totally unaware of what had happened until I stopped the course of fire and made the Range Master investigate the matter.

Stick to the slower, heavier .357 ammo or lighter .38 Specials and you should be ok. Enjoy your Mod. 19. That's a great handgun.