View Single Post

Old 01-13-2016, 08:53 PM

Liked 3,961 Times in 1,871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtsandman View Post
How bad is the piston to clean? My shotgun isn't bad but some people have said their ARs were just as bad as an DI rifle. The crud is just in a different location.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee in Quartzsite View Post
The "crud" around the gas block and gas regulator is simply removed with a rag and Hoppes 9. No scraping, brushing or anything else. Takes less than 5 minutes. The actual piston rod stays pretty clean...just a simple wipe down with CLP.
Any piston is easier to clean than scraping the the area before the gas rings and the bolt tail on a traditional AR-15 bolt. Want to "solve" the problem? Install a Fail Zero NiBX Bolt Carrier Group into your DI AR-15. A fouled bolt is cleaned with a wipe of a dry towel. Since I didn't need to run lube, there wasn't anything in the upper to attract the fouling. Wipe out the upper with a dry rag and I was done.

I've owned a couple NiBX bolt carrier groups. I honestly prefer the Fail Zero product. It was truly easy to clean. My long stroke gas piston rifles? Even easier to clean.

It's funny. I started this thread. I had cleaning OCD. I was at that phase where I subscribed to the "I get as much enjoyment / zen peace from cleaning as I do shooting". That phase is over. I've figured out the quickest and easiest way to clean.

1. Brush the chamber with a chamber brush.

2. Swab out the chamber with a pistol bore mop that's big enough.

3. Spray CLP down the bore. Let it dwell in the bore. Give it a few minutes
to soak into the fouling and loosen it.

4. Spray CLP on the boresnake before and after the bristles. Pull through three times.

5. Spray CLP on a rag. Wipe off the field stripped Fail Zero BCG.

6. Using the same rag, wipe out the upper. Wipe clean the charging handle.

7. I turn the lower upside down and tap it to knock out any particles. I then wipe it out.

Done. It goes fast.