View Single Post

Old 01-17-2016, 12:47 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 20,682 Times in 8,628 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bracebeemer View Post
This is one of the 196 pre- war target I frames fitted with post war barrel,stocks, and small parts and assembled in 1957.This particular gun, serial # 557312 was in the last group shipped on April 30th, 1958. This is my .32 Kit Gun!
Bill
Bill, another screamer. These are genuine anachronisms! Is it possible that serial # may be 657312?

“.32 Reg. Police Target Post War Transitional” 'I' frame, 4" barrel, 6 screw, non-Model #’d with small trigger guard and leaf mainspring (pre Improved 'I' frame). This model still has the smaller pre war frame window size and cylinder diameter of 1.267”, with post war non- chamfered flute corners.

Frame serial # 657298 stamped on front grip strap above the strain screw matching all other #'d parts including stocks, 9 locations in all, including rear sight and both front and rear sight blades. Rear sight has single elevation screw, no check screw.

Pre war/early post war rebated rear grip strap with post war type 16 lpi checkering, round cornered border on round top stocks with curved nickel plated brass post war medallions. The pre war sights are obvious, supplied w/special modified post war blue all steel sight adjusting tool (SAT) to fit tiny sight screws. Pre war/early post war hammer with sliding bar hammer block safety, post war grooved trigger, and 3rd type post war (and post 1966 after I frames became J frames) non-sculpted thumb piece, while all other I frames of the period still had the third type flat latch.

Most features totally out of character with the non-target Pre Model 31 guns of the 1957 period! But it has the 3rd and last style straight ejector rod with left hand thread, no patent dates on barrel and 4 line address. A very convoluted transition model for sure. Brief details of these 196 guns are on page 128, 3rd edition, Standard Catalog of S&W, Supica and Nahas, pictured pg. 127.

The tiny steel/nickeled pre war SAT shown was mot issued with this model of course, but is correct for pre war sights.

This is the correct SAT, also unique, that this model was supplied with:
Photo by 410bore
S&WCA #819

Last edited by Hondo44; 01-17-2016 at 12:48 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: