View Single Post

Old 01-24-2016, 07:56 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 6,882 Times in 2,549 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladder13 View Post
So you buy from a ripoff organization when it suits you, or the price is to your liking, I get it. And you took a chance sight unseen that you would get a good Garand but won't buy a 1911 sight unseen. Don't trust the CMP, you said you do? 1911 at a gunshop could be a bubba special, you know so much about a gov't 1911 to know the difference?

They obviously sold you Garands not at a loss, why would they do that, you wouldn't be able to buy any more if they went belly up.
Why then should they sell 1911's for any less than what THEY deem a cost to keep the organization going?

I believe the post before mine covers the financials.
As I have said before, 730 bucks for a service grade rifle is a very good deal. I was happy to pay it. A year before that same rifle was 675, an even better deal. I understand the cmp has operating costs, so I don't expect a rifle for 100 bucks.

But they're seizing on the excitement the release of genuine GI 1911's are getting and pricing them higher than they should, and while that is the right thing to do if you own a business, it is not the right thing to do if your stated purpose is to promote marksmanship. I can afford one of these 1911's, and might even buy one if I get a sense that a grand isn't gonna get me some bottom of the barrel trash. 1200 for a service grade 1911 comparable to either my service grade HRA, that looks like it was never even issued, or my service grade Springfield, that certainly was issued and used (8/43 receiver and barrel), would be fine by me. I'll see if the mood strikes me if and when they become available.