View Single Post

Old 01-25-2016, 12:02 PM
US Veteran

Liked 18,787 Times in 4,806 Posts

I thought about the C&R angle too as I have one. I was thinking about making the trip to Anniston and picking out a pistol. Now, I'm not so sure.
I sent CMP an e-mail yesterday asking about this:

"IF the 1911 pistols are offered for sale, I've heard that they can't be shipped to a C&R holder. However, can a C&R holder purchase a pistol in person at the CMP store and take delivery at that time? Or will it still have to be shipped to an 01 FFL?

Can a non-FFL purchase a pistol at the store and take it home with them?"

Here's the response I got this morning:
"Sir,
We do not have any information at this time. If anything changes it will be posted on the website.
Thank you,

CMP Customer Service
[email protected]
256-835-8455"

Apparently the folks at CMP are just as much in the dark as everybody else. All they know for sure is that a law has been passed that that MIGHT let them sell some 1911s.

I'm just guessing here, but I suspect that these pistols, IF they are ever sold, will have to be shipped to and transferred through an 01 FFL. Thus adding more time, expense and paperwork to the process.

Damn, here I was hoping to make a little road trip and come home with a piece of history. I should have known it wouldn't be that easy.