View Single Post

Old 02-03-2016, 08:57 AM

Liked 2,921 Times in 1,222 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondo44 View Post
The 'real' story from Roy Jinks:

In response to a member’s email, asking Roy Jinks about the steel used in the cylinder in February of 2008 and he replied:

"The cylinder problem was the fact that some cylinders had long charge holes and you could chamber the .44 Magnum round in the cylinder. So it is an easy check. If the gun will chamber the .44 Magnum round then it has one of the cylinders that was affected. if it does not chamber the round then you are okay. You will still be okay as long as you shoot only .44 Specials in the revolver.

"Believe what you want to, but it was my project and I certainly do not remember a problem with the stainless steel for the cylinders."

Sometime around late August or early September 2014 I called S&W with questions about a 624 and my call was eventually forwarded to Mr. Jinks and he confirmed the problem was that some .44 special cylinders were bored to .44 magnum and simply confirming that a .44 magnum does not chamber in the cylinder is all that's needed to confirm the cylinder is correct.