View Single Post

Old 02-18-2016, 08:37 PM

Liked 1,364 Times in 560 Posts

This Detective is certainly no safe queen. It served an LEO for who knows how many years, and now it serves me every time I leave the house.

The alloy D frames don't feel like they handle +P recoil all that well and would be prone to frame stretching. One reason I don't usually carry my Cobra.

I have always like the Chiefs Special, but have not purchased one yet. I try to buy only what I actually have a use for, and currently my need is filled by the DS.

As for repairing Colts, any minor action work is easy to do if you have the aptitude and get the shop manual. It is the major work that requires the special tools and detail that only a few can provide. Nothing big should be an issue if treated right. Parts are harder to find, but I have found all kinds of NOS parts for cheap. They are also making aftermarket parts now for major pieces, so there are options.

I will take a Colt every time. I do enjoy Smiths, but they have to be older ones, preferably P&R.

I have two Smiths. A 17-4 P&R is my 22 revolver, because of its reputation. I also have a rarer 629-2E snubby for when I on the trail. It is also top notch for trail use compared to Colts. And because they never made a snubby Anaconda.

Last edited by iPac; 02-18-2016 at 08:40 PM.