View Single Post

Old 02-19-2016, 07:24 PM

Liked 11 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversmok3 View Post

That, ladies and gentlemen, is an unextracted case sitting inside my polished finish 5906. After a new magazine and recoil spring the malfunction frequency decreased from one level three malfunction every two mags to one every 70 shots.

Now I sit reminiscing on my old 1990s vintage friend as she sits at the gunsmith being repaired .It is interesting being in a position where I seriously considered living with the failures rather than deal with being without my treasured firearm for a long period of time. Being without my third gen is a long time whether its gone a minute or three weeks.

Any tips to you older gun pros on how to cope with the temporary loss of a firearm to the gunsmith's bench?
I've been there, my friend. Although I've never had to have a great deal of work done to any S&W firearm I've owned, I know what it feels like to have one of your best friends on a gunsmith's bench for an extended period. And it hurts.

All I can say is take solace in your other "best friends." I got really friendly with my custom 1911 .45 ACP and my Ruger Old Model Blackhawk in .41 Magnum. By the time I got my old friend back, I thought I was shooting a .22 rimfire!!!

I would advise you to buy as many spare parts as you can like recoil springs, etc., from reputable sources. I've stockpiled springs and parts for as many guns as I can from (do your own google search, parts are all over the place). Certain sources will attempt to skin you alive on prices. 'Nuff said about that.