View Single Post

Old 02-20-2016, 02:30 AM

Liked 66 Times in 38 Posts
Default Current status of National Reciprocity Bills

Howdy,

I'm still new here so my apologies if this post could use some quality control, but I am curious about this as my own knowledge about these things continues to expand. I saw something earlier today that reminded me that, at some point in the past, I'd read something about "national reciprocity." I'd forgotten about this since, but was reminded of it today.

I did some searching around and after skipping past websites with basic information on the law on a state-by-state basis (not what I was interested in), I finally found something that suggested new legislation for a national reciprocity law to federalize a statute that would render valid out of state CCW permits so long as you aren't a citizen precluded from CCW eligibility in your own state (such as being a felon of course).

Anyway, I found the link at https://www.nraila.org/articles/2015...ty-legislation which is Great to read but I checked the House of Representatives bills at congress.gov and these haven't moved an inch. What are the chances this is going to go forward? I wanted to try and sign the petition or write my lawmakers, but the NRA-ILA's own website 404s. In reality, I have no hope of my Reps or Senators voting for such a thing (I'm represented by two, horrifically anti-2nd amendment Senators and one Representative). But I'd love to help or contribute in some way (whether that is with contributions to the any lawsuits pending, underway or about to be filed) or being among the chorus of voices advocating for this law.

I feel those of us in jurisdictions where we are Essentially barred the right to protect our lives outside of our own home are sitting ducks for the next time someone escapes custody (or is released in yet another prisoner population reduction (early release) program). It shouldn't be up to the Chief of Police or the County Sheriff to personally review and approve of every person that wants to be able to carry in defense of their lives when they least expected to have to defend it. A law like this TOO important to ignore and allow to die on the vine, as it were. There's a majority in Congress now of people you'd think would be friendly to legislation by this, but I have seen no movement on this in over a year.

What's it going to take to get some action on this?