View Single Post

Old 02-21-2016, 08:25 PM
US Veteran

Liked 6,230 Times in 1,044 Posts
Default Range report #1

Sorry for not posting last night. Long day yesterday & I was just flat worn out.

I hit the range yesterday to make sure everything was working as it should and to wring out recoil spring choices. I brought two different springs with me to test, both flatwire. First a Wilson Sentinal 22# numbering 22 coils, open on one end and the other a ISMI 30 coil 22# spring closed on each end.

With the slide fully to the rear hard against the frames impact abutment there is 0.9245" space for a spring to occupy. Both springs are fabricated of 0.026" flatwire so with a little calcuating we find the Wilson spring will bind at 0.572" and the 30 coil ISMI will bind at 0.780". Both of them will fit the gun and work, at least on paper. In practice, flatwire springs behave somewhat like a stack of wavy washers and are very hard to compress completely solid. So in reality the flatwire will coil bind taller than the paper calculations indicate.

Here's the 22 coil Wilson spring installed. Goes right in easily.

And the 30 coil ISMI which is a good deal more difficult to stuff in there.

Having spent plenty of time fiddling with both of these springs at the bench and currently using the 30 coil ISMI spring in several of my compact .45s, I concluded the the Wilson spring would be too light for 10mm and as I alluded to in my last post had pretty much decided the 30 coil spring would be the best choice for this application.

Took station at the 10 yard line since it's all cement up there making it easier to find my brass. Even so I still lost one

No complaints with accuracy. I was getting buffeted by quartering wind from 7-8 o'clock gusting to 20 so I was pretty pleased with this.

I probably tossed more bullets into the berm than at the paper as I spent more time evaluating springs and ejection patterns than accuracy. I'd shoot left hand unsupported point shoulder and watch the ejection port then follow the case to where it lands. I didn't observe any significant difference in ejection between the two springs. Most brass landed 3-4 o'clock at about 8 feet away on average.

As it turns out I was wrong in my assumption the 30 coil spring would be best. While the gun ran perfectly with the Wilson spring, I had several malfunctions with the 30 coil spring installed. Mostly slide override FTF faults and a stovepipe or two so I must conclude the 30 coil is just too much spring for this gun.

Now the Remington greenbox stuff isn't exactly the hottest ammo around either so I have ordered up some Winchester 175 Silvertips and will prepare a couple different springs to test out next Saturday. I think I'll trim a couple springs to 24, & 26 coil and see how they behave both with the Remington 180s and the Winchester stuff.

This is my very first experience with 10mm and so far I like it... A lot! This little "1014" may very well find it's way onto my belt once I am satisfied it's fully trustworthy.

Just for the helluvit I did some fiddling with my digital scale weighing this against my frequent carry guns. I weighed each with a full load of ammo & one mag. So, 8/9 x 230gr for the 45s and 9x180gr for the 10mm.

4566TSWSSV Frankengun 44.5oz
4516 41.9oz
Shorty45 mk2 33.3oz
'1014" 34.0oz

Hmm, verwy interwestingk

Cheers
Bill