View Single Post

Old 02-24-2016, 01:51 AM

Liked 226 Times in 54 Posts

Well, I was considering the 629 Backpacker but could find it no where...there were several Ruger Alaskans out there in LGS all in 44Mag. I did pick one up for under $900 today and am very happy with the purchase. It will be my Pennsylvania hiking carry, watch out momma bear. Will be using 44 special for some target practice and moving up to 44mag soft point for target/training purposes. I will eventually work up to some buffalo bore solid cast anti bear ammo. This gun will function fine for me, I anticipate picking up an alaskan guide rig for chest carry (accessories make the outfit an'all).

Next on my list is for my bucket list Alaskan hike...for Gris I'm thinking the Ruger Toklat in .454 Casull should be the ticket. I'd go S&W but so far the Toklat (a Super Redhawk 5 inch barrel) is the best choice. I don't want to go to 460 or 480 or 500...since S&W doesn't make anything less that shoots 454 Casull I am stuck with the Ruger. But that's ok, life is too short to only have one brand...or one caliber...or one any one flavor. Although, admittedly, I do prefer vanilla over most other flavors

Last edited by flyerdoc; 02-24-2016 at 01:57 AM.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: