View Single Post

Old 02-24-2016, 04:36 PM

Liked 5,435 Times in 1,762 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Fowler View Post
I have not shot at an indoor range for many years so can't speak to the flash problem there.

I did read an article in the American Hangunner that the duration of the human blink is longer than the flash. Shooting outside I do not see a flash with any of my 9mm rounds. Apparently worrying about the flash in self defense situations is not warranted.

Maybe it is just me, but I am not distracted by the flash. I do see one when watching others shoot from a distance.

Anyone else experience a flash to be distracting when they are the one shooting ?
I've told it before, but will again, about my buddy and I doing a pretty extensive experiment with a wide variety of commercial and handloaded ammo, our intent being to determine for ourselves whether or not the muzzle flash had any negative effect on our shooting in full-dark situations. We found that the flash DID have an effect, and a major one -- and, it was all to the good!

We found that, contrary to blinding us, the flash actually lit up the target and made hitting where we wanted to hit much easier and quicker on follow-up shots.

Now, someone will point out that the flash is also pinpointing the shooter, but face it -- if you're shooting in self-defense you're not ambushing someone in the dark. He knows you're there, you know he's there, and what counts is who hits whom quickest and most solidly.

Not saying you should look for the ammo with the biggest flash but,unless you have a vision problem of some sort that might make the flash a problem for you, you can quit worrying about it.

Last edited by Pisgah; 02-24-2016 at 04:38 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: