Thread: Just Gotta Ask
View Single Post

Old 02-28-2016, 04:24 AM

Liked 753 Times in 285 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX-Dennis View Post
I have an old Canon printer. There are no Windows 10 drivers. It does print just fine using the older Win 8 driver, but the little program that pops up showing how much ink is left and so on doesn't work with 10. Canon said they had no plans to issue updated drivers for obsolete printers. They still like selling you ink, though.

Recently I needed ink for the printer. Instead I found a new Canon on sale for less than the price of ink refills. So I got my ink and a new printer for less than I was going to pay for the refills for the old one. This one does have Windows 10 drivers.

Over the years I've used HP, Epson, and Canon inkjet printers. I like Canon the best. They just seem to be more reliable and the print heads don't clog as easily as the others. The Epsons in particular were really bad about clogged print heads. HP was a little better, but Canons just never clog even if it sits for weeks without printing anything.

Drifting . . . yes, I am.
In the cases where people have called me about their older printers no longer working correctly after the Windows 10 upgrade, the easy, cost effective solution was to trash the old printer and get a new one for - yes... LESS than what replacement ink would have been for the old printer. It's a win-win. Be sure to uninstall the old printer first through Add/Remove Programs and restart computer.

BTW... I've seen people have very good experiences with Canon printers. My own printing needs are meager and I like inexpensive HP ink jet printers that use single tricolor cartridges and a single black where the print heads are built into the cartridges which I set for black only grayscale as default.

Printers that have the individual 4 colors riding in an attached carrier that has a long-term print head underneath are susceptible to clogs because the print head is non-replaceable. Well.. it actually is replaceable but not feasible to do so considering the expense and time that takes place once you arrive at the diagnosis that the print head needs to be replaced.