View Single Post

Old 03-03-2016, 09:03 PM

Liked 3,764 Times in 1,784 Posts
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malysh View Post
I wasn't aware that the FBI officially issued any guns during the 1920s.
They weren't authorized to arrest, or carry guns until congress gave them that authority in 1934.

I am aware, though, that FBI agents purchased handguns privately and obtained legal carry permits in the field offices they worked in, depending on local and state laws.

Is that information incorrect, Shawn?

Thanks,
Mike
I believe you are exactly correct, Mike. The original Bureau of Investigation was created as an investigative arm of DOJ and was staffed primarily with people who had expertise in accounting and law. Hoover was in charge for much of the 20s. Firearms were not authorized by Congress nor were they routinely issued. The Dillinger-style bank robbers of the early 30s created an opportunity for federal law enforcement and Hoover brilliantly answered the call(and Congress authorized weapons carry). Initially, most agents were untrained as gun toters. Some few experienced gunfighters like Bryce were recruited to be the first line of gunfighters for the FBI while agents got training. The FBI legend has grown to the point that legend exceeds reality.
The Following 6 Users Like Post: