View Single Post

Old 03-06-2016, 09:24 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 20,627 Times in 8,595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookdoctor1 View Post
I have just inherited a 32 long, what appears to be a 5 screw I frame with the serial number 85434 with a 4 1/2 inch barrel. There is a number of patent numbers on the top of the barrel of which the last one dates July 7, 1903. This was my wife's uncles gun (ex Detroit cop) who wore it until the day he passed. Any info would be appreciated
bookdoctor1,

Welcome to the forum!

You have an oldie but a goodie! And what a terrific family heirloom to pass down thru the family with a written record of it's provenance and history for future generations.

Your serial number identifies it as a ".32 Hand Ejector Model of 1903 -2nd Change" and your correct, it's built on the 5 screw I frame. This version was made from 1906 - 1909. Yours is likely from the 1908 time period.

The standard barrel length close to yours is 4 1/4". So unless it was shortened in the past, it should measure at that length.

Your gun is worth anywhere from $200 to $400 if it functions and depending on the amount of original finish left.

The first thing I always recommend for old guns is a thorough flushing and wipe down with a modern spray CLP (Cleaner-Lubricant-Preservative) like Breakfree, M Pro-7, etc.

No need to take it apart, just remove the grips and let it drain well after spraying.

Current ammunition in .32 Long is perfectly safe to shoot. It's very accurate and comfortable to shoot. Don't hesitate to shoot and enjoy it!
S&WCA #819

Last edited by Hondo44; 03-06-2016 at 09:26 PM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: