View Single Post

Old 03-06-2016, 09:36 PM

Liked 66 Times in 38 Posts
Default 9x19: The Power Sweetspot?

So I fired a semiautomatic that chambers a 9mm Luger round (a Sig Sauer P223 actually!) and it felt *sweet*. Still a load of power like my 40, but without the *pain*. I switched back to mine and even though I'm getting used to the SD40VE now (feels better in my hand than the P223 did, just because my pinky had somewhere solid to be), there's just so much more trigger travel (I felt), and advancing past the clicking point to get to the bang feels like it takes forever. I'm no longer flinching or "anticipating" the shot (hooray!!) but when it happens, that punch is so hard, I'm gone. Back to indexed finger position, resetting and replacing the pad of my fingertip on the trigger. Very time consuming and I'm trying to master Hanging On to that bad boy so I can follow up my shot.

On the P223, I *did* that... I was like, "just don't let go once it goes bang" and I let it slip a little bit past the forward "click," and then got sight-aligned again while inhaling, and while exhaling Click! BANG. Lots of control, *RIGHT* on target.

So was that the 9 doing all of that? I have to check my canister for the grain but maybe it was a lower weight round too? Is that the Sig Sauer having a "brawnier" build to give me more force stability? I kept thinking back over what was going on with the SD40VE and now that I've got my isosceles stance on point, I wasn't just collapsing after the shot like my first time up to the firing line. Wrists were STRAIGHT, and the gun was right where I wanted it, but my left finger just could not hold on for anything.

A part of me is thinking, "maybe I want the SD9VE," hehehe. But before I go down that long road (it's California, ugh), maybe I need to focus on TRAINING. More and more time behind the firing line, just building up a tolerance to the blast so that I can follow on that shot in a controlled manner.

Thoughts fellow SD owners? :-)