View Single Post

Old 03-09-2016, 06:45 AM

Liked 6,247 Times in 1,909 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by allthumbs View Post
Right ! I live in Oswego and when I moved here there were 13,000 people, now , it's probably 30,000 , at the end of my sub-division they built these townhomes and since then my garage door got dented (ruined-$1000.00), property vandalized , packages stolen, I'm sure you get the idea , it's no fun to live someplace when you're always worried about what's going to happen next.
When I was 16 or so in '64 we used to go to the drags in Oswego. They held them at a small airport and used a landing strip for the races. They shut down the races for 20 mins. sometimes and a small plane would land. Then they would start up again. I saw Art Arfons there when he was just getting national attention. He had a jet engine with no body panels or covers on it with 4 wheels. He had a lawn chair strapped to the front of the thing which he sat in and took off down the strip promptly blowing all the timing lights to the next county, and ending the days races.
I remember Oswego as a nice town back then. About 6 years ago just before I retired I had a service call that took me back to Oswego and things have indeed changed.