View Single Post

Old 03-12-2016, 05:41 PM
US Veteran

Liked 3,823 Times in 2,040 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crracer_712 View Post
RE the hand guard that goes beyond the FSB, if you are referring to those extended quad rails that go in front of the FSB, true, but then again, why would a person want one of those...

I do like the FSB's design, the angled part really does disappear with it's 'anti-glare' feature, it's neither something that would or wouldn't say me from getting it though.

RE the delta ring, so many things on the AR have been reinvented, well, everything, so why not? Billet vs forged, barrel profiles, stocks, buffer weights, triggers, trigger guards etc.... I like the concept, but it should have been made from aluminum instead of plastic, I think that would have solved the initial, OMG this thing is tight!. I've hand tightened mine and thought I'd not be able to loosen it, and I didn't really tighten it in the first place. I've tried all the magpul guards, a couple of different quad tail drop ins, sure fire and multiple M4 hand guards, they all fit.

I'm not trying to sway the opinion away from the Sport II, just stating the Ruger is a fine rifle and I haven't run across anything that doesn't interchange with it and any of my other OEM rifles or the one's I've built.

As for the Hammer forged barrel, it's my understanding is that is all that Ruger uses on all their rifles. Whether its better or not, I wouldn't have a clue, I'm sure all my guns are more accurate than I am, as long as I hit what I'm aiming at, I'm happy!

If the OP is looking for a cheap rifle, I can't imagine he could find a better price on the Ruger than the Sport II. I have yet to see anyone sell the Ruger for under 600, and I've seen multiple places sell the sport II under 600 (I posted a link to a place that had almost 40 in stock at 539 at time of my posting!) That's a hell of a no brainer buying price!

And with a parting dig, I'm glad S&W decided to make the Sport in to a real AR! aka sport II (yes, I like to stir the pot)
Many folks like for the handguard to extend past the gas block on a carbine length rifle... some of those folks also like to have a fixed front sight base. Allows for different techniques of holding the rifle.

And I'm perfectly happy with my first generation sport... you know, the one with the good barrel...