View Single Post

Old 03-15-2016, 02:31 PM

Liked 787 Times in 306 Posts

TeaDub, Keep in mind that the weight difference in rounds is not always attributed to the powder charge. Brass manufacturing differences in primer pocket depth, the flash made by the flash hole punch and wall thickness differences can account for some of that also. That's why serious reloaders and long range shooters, ream primer pockets, flash holes etc to uniform out the brass when building precision rounds. It would seem powder charges are close enough even dropped that it shouldn't account for all the difference if any. But the decision to weigh rounds and use the most uniform will undoubtedly result in the most accuracy.

Les.b, the recovery of the bullets from the deer is outstanding. Most people I know of don't do that. I have always tried to recover bullets from the Elk and Antelope that I shot since I always used expensive bullets in accurate reloads and wanted to know what the performance was really like.

As far as home grown chronograph results, it always interests me that we never get the atmospheric data on these results. Nor does anyone list the type of chronograph or distance between screens or even distance from the muzzle. For those who use them, it should be noted in most articles where tests are done in major magazines that this data has in the past, normally been included. The other thing I have noticed is that rarely does anyone show average results for 5 shots as professionals use. I have owned and used two different models of home chronograph and found both wanting for accuracy and reliability. In many cases while using I found the brightness of the sun had much to do with my results. I always wanted an Oehler Chronograph and never could come up with one. The small home models that I did have simply didn't get great results and on some days wouldn't give any results. So I personally take those results like a grain of salt. Possibly well intentioned but of no value whatsoever. As a career law enforcement officer, now retired, and having 7 years at a major state Police academy as the chief firearms instructor, I have been relying on Speer and Federal ammunition to save my life and keep the wolf away from the door since 1985 and will keep doing it till my last day. So far the folks at ATK, the parent company of both have been taking care of those of us in harms way pretty well. I don't see any reason to change. I use short barrel ammo because it's optimized for the short barrel guns that I use. I have regular ammo also that is 158 grain Hydrahok .357 full power. I keep it around but until I want to light a cigar 4 feet from the muzzle of my short barreled revolver, I probably won't use it up.

Last edited by flintsghost; 03-15-2016 at 02:35 PM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: