View Single Post

Old 03-15-2016, 04:31 PM

Liked 37 Times in 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roaddog28 View Post
Amen Buff:
38+P specials have been downgraded to standard pressure 38 special ammo since the 1970s. I remember in the 70s when most standard ammo was running about 800 to 850fps and SAAMI pressure was at 18000psi. Standard pressure now is at 17000psi. The ammo manufacturers use +P ammo as a marketing tool to sell ammo. The answer to the OP's is yes on using +P in a model 60. Heck, I have used the so called +P in my M&P 38 specials from the earlier 1950s. Because of the expense of +P ammo I use standard pressure ammo and I reload. This is to save cost. Here is the link to Saxon Pigs acticle on shooting with kobie.
Shooting with Hobie
This is your answer!! Almost every +P load from 1980 on is what a standard load was in the 70's. S&W use to tell everyone that if it had a model #(10,15,60) it was safe to shoot +p's.it could cause more or faster wear in some of the lighter air weight guns but it was safe to shoot them.Go look up some of the 1950's Air Force loads for the 130 fmj load. So of those would hit 1250 fps out of a 6" barrel. It's just another way of S&W hiding behind lawyer's. I can believe how often this comes up. Remember on the K frames they also made them .357 magnums, they did wear faster but there are still thousands of them out there with nothing wrong.
The Following User Likes This Post: