View Single Post

Old 03-17-2016, 12:20 PM

Liked 5,902 Times in 2,543 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by finesse_r View Post
It is this type of blame the victim that gives the anti-gun nuts their support. This liberal minded attitude towards criminals is absurd. Leave it to the police is an attitude for the weak and fearful. The police are at best a support and mostly what they do is arrive late and fill out forms for the morgue or insurance company and then make a feeble effort to catch the perpetrator. YOU are responsible for your safety not the police. And when someone breaks into YOUR home, the last thing we need is some liberal worrying about supposed rights of the criminal and second guessing a homeowner who is defending his or her home.

Send a notice loud and clear stay out of other people’s homes. Rewarding some fool or his family for his criminal actions is just beyond all reason.

My prayers are not for the dead burglar. I expect he got his justice in full.
It seems to me you miss the point of bgrone's thoughtful, nuanced post, which wasn't victim blaming, anti-gun, or soft on criminals.

Quite the contrary, I read it to be entirely sympathetic to the homeowner, given the circumstances, and clearly anti-crime and criminal, but appropriately questioning of the wisdom and legality of the homeowner's actions in the context of genuine self-defense.

We all need to wait for more facts to roll in, but basing our responses on the available information, there are a lot of pro-gun jurisdictions across the land that wouldn't call this a clean shoot based at minimum on the fact that the homeowner knowingly went from a safe place to a dangerous place to protect -- to the best of our knowledge so far -- nothing more than material goods. If that version of events holds, that isn't self-defense.

We should all -- especially those of us who carry and take responsible, legal self-defense seriously -- be able to look coldly and rationally at disputed cases of self-defense and discuss the merits or lack thereof without resorting to broad disparaging remarks, especially when those remarks don't logically connect to the post being disparaged.
The Following User Likes This Post: