View Single Post

Old 03-18-2016, 08:58 PM

Liked 221 Times in 151 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
IMO, reloading is where your head should be at for any future govt BS. Even buying once fired brass, you can make 223 for about 25c a round/$250/1000. Sure you are not saving much there but saving still. Keep in mind as you reload that brass the cost of it gets amortized so you get down to about 18c each or $180/1K. With 9mm, I can cast & coat my own bullets & reload 9mm for about 5c each/$50/1000. If you have time, a Lee Classic turret w/ dies & access for both calibers will run you about $350. That is what, 1000rds of ammo, a no brainer. If your time is worth more, then a Dillon progressive setup like the 550B, about $700 with everything. The diff is 150rds/hr vs 400/hr, both are conservative numbers.
It's cheaper to stockpile components than ammo. You can reload a pistol case 15-20x if you don't go max. FOr rifle, 10x is pretty doable, stay way off max, maybe 15x. So you can get by with a few 1000 rds of brass in each caliber, then lay in the primers & powder & bullets. Learn to make your own bullets & scrounge for the mat'l. they are free.
Ok you really want to make cheap 223, I make my own bullets out of spent 22lr, cost me nothing but time & of course the gear, but I will never run out of 223.

FWIW, I haven't bought 223 or 9mm brass in the last 5yrs. I get all I want at the local range. Plenty of factory ammo guys shooting & leaving it all behind. I stopped picking up the 223, I probably have 4k rds of it, double that in 9mm. I do pick up every 45acp I find though. :-)
I do reload and have been using whatever brass I find on range floor to use. I am kind of stuck on buying quality FMJ from Hornady but have been using Polymere coated Bayou Bullets which are much cheaper than FMJ. I guess for SHTF, is there a reason not to go with Bayou Bullets? It also seems using whatever brass I find on range floor is a cadinal sin but so far using Bayou Bullets with mixed head stamps, I have not encountered any Failure to Feed or eject issues.

Is buying new brass worth it? or buying remanufacturered reloading brass?