View Single Post

Old 03-19-2016, 03:08 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I wanted to revive this thread because I just experienced problems with PRVI Partizan .38 Special 158gr LRN ammo similar to those reported by wrightd in 2009. I shot 50 rounds of a recently purchased lot through my 28-2. At the end of the session, the face of the cylinder was coated with lead deposits and lead had built up on the outer surface of the cylinder above each bore. There was a large amount of lead fouling in the grooves of the rifling. Of the 50 rounds, at least two clearly keyholed at 15 yards, and several more impacts were rips in the paper rather than rounds holes. The keyholed rounds were noticeably high, and accuracy in general was less that I've gotten with Magtech LRN, Magtech .357, or Remington jacketed ammo. All the ammo in the box did go bang, and I didn't sense that any was low recoil.

Has anyone else had similar experiences with this PP ammo? Any thoughts as to the problem? Lead softer that it should be? Bullets out of spec? I had previously put 30 rounds from the same lot through my 15-3 without noticing the same problem, although I did get a fair amount of lead out of the cylinder bores when I cleaned it. I think I'll go back with my 686 (which has had a steady diet of lead RN, WC and SWC ammo) and see if other boxes yield the same results. At least the stainless won't look as bad as the blued guns with lead all over it.