View Single Post

Old 04-01-2016, 07:04 PM

Liked 2,207 Times in 204 Posts
Default Anyone know about the NYPD Dan Wesson Model 11?

Sometimes in or around 1970 the NYPD approved-for-duty-use the brand new first production Dan Wesson Model 11. This was Dan Wesson's first entry into double-action revolver manufacture with their .357 Model 11. This was a fixed sight revolver, chambered in .357, and with the unique barrel removal/swap design, a first of its kind. The revolver was a medium frame size with dimensions roughly the same as the S&W K-Frame. There were several grip types to choose from with this Dan Wesson six-gun. It was a design way ahead of the curve. Still is, for the many, like myself, who lament the passing of Dan Wesson himself and the Company under his leadership. Somehow, someway, Mr. Dan, convinced the NYPD to accept his newly produced Model 11 as a duty carry service revolver. In order to gain their approval he had to modify his Model 11 to NYPD acceptance levels. First, the four-inch barrel was made "fixed", chambered in .38 Special only, and in blue steel. This NYPD Model 11 was made available to rookie cops for purchase at the "Gun Day" occasion. These Dan Wesson's were offered for a few short years to NYPD and a few got out from what I have ascertained from much research into this subject matter. From speaking/communicating with retired NYPD personnel, I have tracked only a couple of former officers who knew or had any info on this. I have collected NYPD six-guns and this "great white whale" has eluded me forever and a day.
I have owned a blue steel .357 Model 11 (4"bbl.) for many years. It is one of the most accurate-shooting, fixed sight service revolvers I have ever shot. When you anchor her down in an adjustable pistol perch, using .38 158gr. LRN ammo, it will literally shoot a cloverleaf pattern at 20-yards. I have no other six-gun that can shoot a "small" 3-shot cloverleaf like this. I carry the Model 10-6 and Colt Official Police as duty arms as a lawman and love both. That being said, I cannot get either to shoot the kind of group that DW Model 11 is capable of. It was truly a unique six-gun design. The short hammer drop took some getting use to, as well as the trigger-action. But once conquered, you had one accurate handgun in your possession.

Does any of my friends here know "anything" about the NYPD Dan Wesson Model 11? I would love to hear the stories about this rare gun.

David

Last edited by dabney; 04-01-2016 at 07:05 PM.