View Single Post

Old 04-02-2016, 12:36 PM

Liked 609 Times in 246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphydog View Post
The earlier 640-1s seem to be stamped "Smith & Wesson" on the left and ".357 Magnum" on the right barrel (as in GCF's photos above), and from what I have seen later runs used different stamped barrels, with "S & W .357 Magnum" on the left barrel. It would be interesting to know the SN prefixes on the two above to see if one was made much later than the other.
I hadn't noticed the difference, but you are obviously correct.

SN: BSY0***
640-1

Got mine from the original owner last summer. Came w/ original Uncle Mike's boot grips, & no box. He indicated that he bought it new, shortly after the -1 / .357 version became available. Sometime in - or soon after 1995..., I think.

Confirmation anyone??

Forged internals, far as I can tell. Very smooth action, excellent DA timing, & satisfyingly accurate - at realistic SD range. Shoots both Speer 135 +P Gold Dot SB, & 158LSWC hand loads surprisingly well.

This revolver has pretty much replaced EVERYTHING else, for my "around town" EDC. Gets carried in in either a DiSantis pocket holster, or an Andrews Custom Leather tension hold Saddle Style (pancake) rig.

Last edited by GCF; 04-02-2016 at 12:42 PM.