View Single Post

Old 04-08-2016, 03:38 AM

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post

On the subject of rounds not being pushed up far/fast enough in the magazines:

A few years ago, I had the same problem with a Buckmark. The culprit turned out to be a combination of the temperature and the specific ammo I was trying to shoot.

The "Purple Box" Eley Sport (which is actually made by Aguila) had such a sticky lube on it that it would simply prevent the springs in the mags from being able to push them upwards after reloading the mags even once. Cool temperatures (anything below about 70 degrees F) made the problem worse.

The lube on that ammo is something like the stickier cross country ski wax if you've ever encountered that.

I had to clean the mags out with solvent before they were even usable with other ammo because the "Sport" crudded them up so badly. And as was mentioned above, the gunk manifested itself, as would be expected, right where the noses of the ammo rub against the inside of the fronts of the mags.

I like to keep magazines clean of any oil or grease, but I did resort to trying some dry silicone lube in those mags. I also tried installing higher force springs (the springs made for Ruger MK series magazines fit fine, and are stronger). None of that allows the use of that particular ammo.

So I just don't shoot that stuff out of any magazine fed guns. Plus, it's just not that accurate. Three or four good ones, then a flier. Bahh!

Don't confuse the Purple Box Eley Sport (really Aguila) with the actual Eley-made Eley Sport. The Eley-made stuff is dandy.

Anyhow, all of that was just to say that if the ammo you're using has a sticky lube on it, that may be the problem. It certainly was with my Buck Mark, and actually, that stuff jams 10-22s, Ruger MKs, etc., too. It's just amazingly sticky, adhesive stuff. Sort of like bee's wax, but worse!

If you were really into it, you could probably rub the very noses of the bullets on a solvent-soaked cloth or something like that to remove the goo just at the noses, but not back where it matters, and perhaps it'd run OK. But it really wasn't worth the hassle to me.

Here's how a magazine that has had some of that ammo in it looked:

It may have just been a particular batch that had that goo on it, but I'd bought a case of it, so it was disappointing.

People who lived down south, and had high temperatures reported decent luck with it. But here, in cooler temperatures, it was neither accurate or able to be used in any of my mag-fed semis.

Last edited by Jsigmo; 04-08-2016 at 03:41 AM.
The Following 4 Users Like Post: