View Single Post

Old 04-09-2016, 01:00 PM

Liked 7,619 Times in 1,450 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by model70hunter View Post
All this turkey talk has brought on lots of gobbling, i mean talking.

My brother was one of the best turkey hunters ever until he quit.
He can move better than D. Boone, he sounds like a Gobbler or hen. He quit because folks would hear him and move it to get a bird. HE was sitting by a large Oak, waiting to shoot a Tom he called in, when BOOM! a guy had set up a tree or 2 behind him and shot the gobbler. Bro yelled out the guys heritage and the fella ran off, Bro pick up the bird and never has hunted public land again.

Keep your eyes open and your neck turning, like ole Tom hisself.

Good luck to all of you.
Good advice for turkey hunting nimrods.

As a hunter that pretty much is stuck hunting public land which about 70% of Utah is I do worry about other hunters. Mostly it is a brushy where I hunt with little opening that give you, if your lucky, a 40 or 50 yard view.

This will sound funny but I've started putting out some dirt cheap foam decoys when I setup. I don't do it so much to attract old Tom, that is what a call is for; but, as a sign to other hunters I'm in the area so keep out.

Keeping your neck and eye turning is also good advice. The Tom I called in and killed last year circled around my setup and came in on the same little trail I did. I just caught him out of the corner of my eye. I quickly swung my shotgun around and about took his head off 15 or 20 feet from where I was sitting.

Oh I don't do my scouting with a side by side. I carry a camera with a big lens and an old S&W .44 on my belt to keep the bears off.