View Single Post

Old 04-14-2016, 01:11 PM

Liked 1,570 Times in 635 Posts

This thread prompted me to conduct some accuracy experiments, I had to pick up 2 S&W 952-1s to compare to my Sig P 210's, a Legend and a Legend Target.

The first part of the test has been shooting 4 500 round groups at 12 inch chain sprockets at 88 yards from a very stable sitting position using what I consider my accuracy load, 3.5 grains of 700X behind a 122 grain lead cast TC bullet from Rim Rock Bullets and Starline Brass all from the same lot. Pistols were shot on consecutive days, weather permitting over the coerce of 4 months.

Accuracy was recorded by the percentage of hits from each pistol.
The S&W 952-1 came out on top with 96% hits, the Sig Legend was close behind with 92% hits.

For my eyes there is a noticeable difference between the sights on the Legend and the Wilson Combat sights on the 952-1.

I find the Legend more pleasant to dry fire as the hammer is more friendly to my thumb when cocking the pistol. Both are very pleasant to shoot. The 952-s always throws the brass in a neat little pile at my side while the Sig Legend P 210 throws brass over a much wider area.

I found it easy to learn their triggers and am very pleased with them both, they are slightly different but delightful and a tribute to the makers art.

My next test will be comparing the Sig Legend Target with my second 952-1, both of them were in new condition when I got them. Someone had shot the 952-1 with some lead bullets that really leaded the barrel, the groves were completely filled with lead obscuring the rifling in the back 1/2 of the barrel. The seller told me he had bought it used and shot it but that it did not shoot well in his hands. As usual I broke her down and cleaned her completely. After a little work I got the lead out and it shot a 2" group at the 88 yard chain sprocket. I feel it will
be very competitive against the Legend Target.

Which is more accurate? At this time I feel they are very close to equal but different, in a match I would not take either for granted.

Last edited by Ed Fowler; 04-14-2016 at 01:14 PM.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: