View Single Post

Old 04-14-2016, 10:58 PM
US Veteran
Absent Comrade

Liked 16,158 Times in 7,409 Posts

Some minor points...

First, it was the improved MK IV .38 that Webley submitted to the govt. , not the MK III from which the new gun was developed.

Next, a post above said that Kandahar is in Egypt. It's in Afghanistan, and is in fact where Lt. Col. Vincent Fosbery, VC earned his Victoria Cross for gallantry.

I am a little puzzled at the flat military finish on Les's MK. IV .38 with four-inch barrel. Usually, guns with that barrel length with that late hammer, have the normal commercial blue finish. If this is an Israeli gun, maybe they specified that finish or it may be refinished. Note that some postwar MK IV .38's for the Singapore police were fitted with a crossbolt safety.

Finally, I really, really wish that anyone interested in this subject or in handguns in general, would buy Geoffrey Boothroyd's, "The Handgun", Crown Publishers, about 1970. It'll probably be the best investment that you ever make in a book on handgun history. Elmer Keith's, "Sixguns", revised 1961 edition, should be your second gun book, before you buy specialized books on S&W's.

I like Webley and the firm had a rich history. I think their last revolvers were made for Navy Arms about 1975. They came in a distinctive box. Shotgun production may have continued longer.

Last edited by Texas Star; 04-14-2016 at 11:01 PM.
The Following 4 Users Like Post: