View Single Post

Old 05-16-2016, 02:06 PM

Liked 736 Times in 398 Posts

I have Brian Litz's book "Applied Ballistics for Long Range Shooting" and found it a fantastic, useful, and surprisingly easy read. So when I stumbled across this excerpt from his book "Modern Advancements in Long Range Shooting" published on his web site: . . . Chapter 15: Measuring Muzzle Velocity . . . I read it.

It's very informative and contains an accuracy and precision comparison of several chronos (though it pre-dates LabRadar). Litz is also quite up-front about the limitations of his test, and if you google "Litz chronograph test" you will also get at least one rebuttal from one of the manufacturers lol.

But folks who want/have a chrono and like data will find it interesting and helpful. One of the conclusions he makes very clear is the importance of having at least 24" between (optical) sensors. And how important setup is especially when the distance between two sensors is short.

OTOH, he also tells you how and why an inaccurate but fairly precise (or accurate and somewhat imprecise) chrono can still be useful.
The Following User Likes This Post: