Thread: Shield .45
View Single Post

Old 05-26-2016, 01:22 PM

Liked 1,324 Times in 487 Posts
Default Shield .45

I own and have carried a great many Glocks for duty and off-duty use. I prefer the Shield 9mm to the Glock 43 for a number of reasons. First, the Shield comes with metal sights rather than plastic. The magazine capacity is one - two rounds more. Finally, the Shield feels better in my hand. I shoot mine quite accurately and have always qualified very high with it.

I was a police officer for 37 years. During most of those, I was also a range master/firearms instructor. Based on my experience, I'll be getting a Shield .45 as soon as they are available and I have the ability to buy one. I've owned two XDs .45 pistols. Both were very good guns, but they had a 5 round magazine capacity that I found insufficient. The 7 round magazines made the gun less concealable and weird looking to me. The same is true of the Kahr pistols I've owned in .45 ACP.

I've owned every model of .45 ACP pistol made by Glock. I've also owned both the M&P .45 FS and compact models. I found the M&P to feel much better in my hand. The M&P also shot on par with, or superior to the Glocks.

Finally, based on my experience and opinion, I'll say that the .40 S&W is snappier than either 9mm or .45 ACP. Further, it offers little if any advantage over the 9mm with modern HP ammunition. Even so, as an old 1911 and .45 ACP proponent, I'll take the Shield .45 over any .40 or 9mm compact currently out there, assuming they don't develop any unforeseen problems.