View Single Post

Old 05-28-2016, 01:07 PM

Liked 9,352 Times in 3,736 Posts

In terms of ballistics, there is no important difference between the 2 rounds. The decision comes down to skill with the platform, and logistics. if you are truly better with the revolver under stress, using measured testing (timer, specific course of fire, etc), then the platform is a huge factor. You also have to consider your home layout and defensive layers (fence, dogs, etc.) , the realities of LE response time and how that might impact your need to hold out longer and or reload, etc. You also need to consider one handed shooting due to injury or using a flashlight; the greater ease of mounting a quality light on an autopistol, and similar ergonomic issues.
As a revolver goes, I would be satisfied with a good .38 SWC in either my M66 or K38 - properly delivered to the right places on a body, effective enough and much more controllable. I have a 629MG and a 296; while I have a few Magnum rounds, the vast majority of my ammo is the 200 grain Gold Dot, and I buy almost all of my ammo in bulk for lots of reasons.
If you have a budget that makes it necessary to buy smaller lots of ammo, say a box at a time, the .45ACP is by far the better choice in terms of logistics. It is far more common, there are several rounds that have done well in the objective testing by Doc Roberts (google his test results or search this forum for links to them), and you can feed both an auto and revolver (I have both in 45ACP) the same ammo.
My EDC for lots of reason is a G33; nasty little thing, but always present. Away from the settings that make that a good choice, a chopped G17.

Home defense should be layered. Fencing (6 foot minimum, with LOCKED gates), floodlights, dogs, etc. If anyone who feels comfortable coming to your home uninvited, there is something very wrong. Fix it. The point is to make potential problem children go away and pick someplace to do their nastiness. If they get in, you have a clear shooting situation, of course - that can't be anything but unlawful assaultive violence.

In reality, while I have guns in several places, the all around best choice is my AR. Ballistically better than any pistol, has an Aimpoint and a Surefire PX3, easier to shoot accurately and fast, and while over penetration is over rated as a concern for a lot of reasons, less likely to have that problem with a human torso and the house walls.

Last edited by Doug M.; 05-28-2016 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Typos
The Following User Likes This Post: