Thread: Rimfire Rifles
View Single Post

Old 05-28-2016, 09:38 PM

Liked 6,702 Times in 1,846 Posts

I really like vintage 22 rifles when they were built from milled steel and walnut. Just about every pre 64 Winchester and a few Remington's, Marlin's and Savages. When bent tin and plastic came about all interest waned. The early Marlin 39's are great as is most early Winchesters. I do not do plastic, pot metal, cast, or MIM built guns. The Ruger 10/22 was designed to be built as cheaply as possible with no skilled labor required. Everything I detest about guns. The rub is, they work and work well. They can be rebuilt and modified by anyone with a 5th grade education, no skill with tools required. Again everything I dislike, and they work. The same with the Remington nylon 66 that Paliden likes. These are plastic guns with a sheet metal covering on the receiver (put there only because Remington did not think they could sell a plastic gun to the public) and a bent tin can for a rear sight. Again, being built inexpensively and with methods and materials I do not like and they work reliably. Ships captains in Alaska like them because plastic don't rust. The 22 rifle I will take to my grave is a pre war Winchester model 61. All milled steel and hand fitted by master craftsmen.
The Following 7 Users Like Post: